9.04.2006

Bakery Convert



LOS ANGELES-Have you ever tasted the dessert without actually eating it? This is what happens when you stand in line at Porto's Bakery. This local hot-spot is so busy you have to take a number in order to be served. While in line strangers become friends. Conversations begin when the anticipation of deciding what to get becomes too much to bare. You turn to anyone out of desperation to voice your opinion about which mousse is richer, or inquire about the density of the carrot cake. Perhaps even question how the billowy white chocolate shavings ontop the triple chocolate mousse were made to look like clouds.

This past Saturday I spontaneously took a detour in my shopping plans to accomodate the wild desire and experience this legendary bakery. Surprised by the size, this bakery was a full-service restaurant, and surely the total people present exceeded the fire code regulation. No matter, everyone crammed close to the counter, pushing for the best view of the display cases. After a twenty minute wait and having established a friendship over mousse intellect with the gal in line ahead of me, I found myself in a state of panic. My number was next and I did not know what to buy. Anxiety took over along with my saliva. Too much saliva had been generated while standing in a trance for twenty minutes looking at the options! Is this a sign that qualifies a bakery as 'Oustanding'? I was slurring my words!

Within moments I had paid and found myself sitting at the table with three decadent choices (of course, this is only after indulging in a few bites of the Pastel de carne, the Pastel de pollo and one full Papa rellena). Were these made just for me? A Chocolate Raspberry Mousse individually wrapped in a decorative sleeve. Only after trying to peel it back did I discover the sleeve was white chocolate. Does this place get any better? Yes. One bite into the carrot cake and I found myself converted. Officially I can be affiliated with the Porto's Bakery Fan Club. (SH)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home