1.07.2007

Sexy




NYC – Talk about a photo opp.
Yesterday at dusk, my friend Carl and I checked out the new, nine-story Frank Gehry building in Manhattan. It’s located in Chelsea, on the West Side Highway, and is expected to be finished in a couple of months. It will be the headquarters for InterActiveCorp, which owns Internet businesses like Evite and match.com. The 165,000-square-foot building reportedly cost $100 million.
I’m not smitten with it. I’ve seen it during the day, and while striking, the façade (glossy white) reminds me of a microwave door (ick!). The color is due to teeny ceramic dots on the glass, a technique called fritting that creates privacy and cuts down on energy costs.
While I’m not in love, I have to admit: I’m having second thoughts about the building after last night’s viewing. It’s very sexy against a darkening sky. And it makes for a great photograph. (JM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home