4.27.2007

Spa Dentistry


Syracuse, New York – My recent trip to the dentist was absolutely exhilarating. Honestly!
I made my appointment with Dr. Mohr three weeks ago. He was booked solid. That’s a good sign.
Another good sign came in the mail: a folder filled with glossy brochures, a dentist bio, directions to his office and, my favorite, his business card that featured Arts & Crafts typography. It appeared I inadvertently had found a dentist who shared my love of this architecture/design movement started in the 1800s.
My trip to his office on a soggy day this week confirmed my suspicions. Dr. Mohr works in a gray and green, Adirondack-style building in Manlius, a charming village a few miles east of Syracuse. Walking inside, I couldn’t believe I was at the dentist. The interior was gorgeous. The well-appointed waiting room was filled with stained glass lamps, a fireplace with a stone surround that stretched to the ceiling, and posh Stickley furniture, including a wooden coffee table with ceramic tile inlay that Mohr told me was custom-made. There were several houseplants and on one wall, a lovely mural of a wooded landscape.
And the accoutrements! A spacious coat rack; books and magazines about historic architecture and design; a tea and coffee bar, with Green Mountain coffee from Vermont (my favorite), cereal bars, packages of string cheese and juice.
It was ten minutes before the dentist could see me. I wish I could have waited longer.
But the rest of his office proved to be equally luxurious. No detail had been overlooked.
As the dental assistant (wearing forest green scrubs) scraped plaque off my teeth, and the news played on the television screen attached to my reclined chair, I admired the windows with their asymmetrical, wooden panes and the textured, earthy walls. “Is that wallpaper?” I asked (it was). It looked as if a decorator had stamped leaves into a thick layer of tan paint.
The lighting was soothing – and I promise they hadn’t given me any drugs. Natural light streamed in through the windows, and two contemporary light fixtures hung overhead.
Getting x-rays was even pleasant. They use a digital system, which means I was able to relax in my chair while looking at images of my teeth and jaw on the screen. (When I told my roommate, Suzanne, about my experience, she described it as spa-style dentistry. Brilliant.)
Of course, I hammered Dr. Mohr with questions and praised his decorating tastes. Yes, he was an Arts & Crafts enthusiast, and when he opened his own practice in 2003, he was determined to create his dream office. He said it was nicer than his own home.
I’m a huge fan of the Arts & Crafts style because it’s natural and cozy and simple. I think those qualities lend themselves very well to a dental office, a place where one often feels a bit squeamish.
Why can’t every office be this fabulous? Sure, the fresh coffee and gift bag I was given on my way out (with lip balm and mint lotion; it was customer-appreciation day) are extravagant, but creating a warm, inviting ambiance isn’t that tough. Good lighting, simple wood furniture, plants – that’s all it takes.
Fortunately, I’ll get another dose of spa dentistry next month. No cavities, but I do have a gap between two of my back teeth (food trap!). Dr. Mohr will fill that in during my next appointment. I can’t wait! (JM)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Leonard said...

Jenna,
I wish my dentist had the same decorating taste, thanks for sharing this! Maybe you could ask Dr. Mohr to bring in a book for his waiting room. My son and I have just penned a new Adirondack kids book, "Adirondack Nightmare: A Spooky Tale in the North Country". It's a quick, lively read and takes place in the heart of the Adirondacks. It can be found on www.rebeccaleonard.com. Anyway, Dr. Mohr has class!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello jenna, you're a difficult one to find... it only took me 12 years to find you. i'm happy to see you're doing well! congrats on your successes!

ryan saunders
firesnake303@yahoo.com

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home